It isn’t possible to be a totally stress-free parent. The job is too tough for that! But you can reduce your stress by following a few simple suggestions:
- Take time out each day to do something for yourself. Exercise, stretching, listening to soothing music, reading or meditation will reduce stress.
- Accept that children sometimes make mistakes, are inconsistent and act thoughtlessly. This is part of being a child.
- Ease tension with a human touch — share a hug, hold hands or give a pat on the back.
- Listen to your children and show you value your conversations with them. Good communication can prevent conflict and stress.
- Schedule in family fun and fitness. Laughter and physical activity are great stress reducers.
- Spend time with friends talking about your parenting concerns. Also share your reflections on the joys of parenting.
- Learn how children mature so your expectations for each child’s behavior are realistic.
- Feeling overwhelmed? Arrange for some outside help.
- Keep your sense of humor when things don’t go as planned.
- Do something nice for yourself. You deserve it!
© 2002 The Positive Line #79930 Rev. 11/04 Item # FCJ-22